Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My Meraki (μεράκι)



I'm starting a new blog. This one will not be political in nature in any way, nor will it debate social stigma or personal dogma to the detriment of it's readers.

This is an artistic blog. A blog about my journey as a photographer. Observations about things I learned along the way. Artistic observations. Spiritual observations. Personal observations. 

Perhaps nobody will care, but I will. A blog doesn't have to be read by hundreds, or even dozens. It only has to be read by someone who is affected by the words inside it.

One day I was sitting on a bench on Broadway in Downtown Columbus and I had a cup full of leftover ice from a drink I'd just finished. I was about to throw it in the trash, but at the last moment, I saw that about 50 feet away was a planter full of flowers on the street corner. I walked the 50 feet and dumped the ice in the planter. That action may seem totally irrelevant, but for the flowers in the planter, it was relevant.

Meraki (μεράκι) is a Greek word that I am personally in love with. It means leaving a part of yourself in your work. I'm going to discuss that in a later post, but for now, know that this blog is a part of that, hence it's title.

I'm currently pursuing my degree in counseling, so that I can (hopefully) one day help others who have, like me, experienced childhood trauma. When I begin doing this, I can hopefully stop using photography as my career, and only work with people and projects I want to work with.

I want to leave a legacy in the hearts of those I served.

This is my Meraki. My μεράκι.

"Wisdom is not ignoring everyone's opinion and claiming yours is most accurate because of what you understand. Wisdom is balancing and validating your own beliefs by way of listening to the beliefs of others that perhaps you didn't understand."  

No comments:

Post a Comment